Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Let your kids pay for college

This Motley Fool commentary makes the argument that it makes more financial sense to save for your health care, during retirement, than to save for your children's college education. Which has been our plan all along, in spite of the fact that people look at you like a heartless ogre when they hear about it. The author does not mention a few important aspects of the argument,though. It is not impossible, as a student, to pay for your own education, what with grants and co-op schools. Loans are right out - who wants to start work with a gigantic debt?

I think that students take the education more seriously if it's their dime. Both my wife and I paid our own way, and it wasn't that hard.

1 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

This is interesting. My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Our daughter is 2. Both my wife and I paid for college (mostly). Her through grants, me through work. But we both took it seriously and we wonder how much of that is because of our contribution.

I work in a college town, and what I see are kids who go to college, not to start a carreer but to have fun and figure out what they want to do. It is an expenive way to figure out your vocation!

BTW, Cabbie one day commented on my blog, so I commented on hers and now she linked to me. I don't know her age, but sense she is still in HS? I would want to know who is commenting on my daughter's blog (although she is two and doesn't have a blog!) so I wanted to drop you a note to say hi. I know how much fun it is to have readers, so I will probably comment often... unless you say otherwise. Take care.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home